Friday, February 7, 2014

Sibling Rivalry



Abby and Izzy play together very well. They will spend hours making up plays, complete with wardrobe changes, songs and piano interludes. However, there are certainly times when their play will escalate into a disagreement. Recently I decided to allow them time to try and work out their arguments. I discovered that they were able work out their differences quickly and creatively without my stepping in with a solution at the first sign of upset.


Last night I overheard this:



Abby: “I WANT TO BE THE MOM!”



Izzy:  “I WANT TO BE THE MOM!”



Abby: “YOU WERE THE MOM LAST TIME. I’M THE MOM OR I’M NOT PLAYING!”



Izzy: “FINE. Play by yourself.”



Abby: “YOU PLAY BY YOURSELF! I’m getting out of here!”

(stomping, silence for about 30 seconds)



Izzy: “Okay, you can be the Mom. But I’m the Nanny, I don’t want to be a Dad because I want to wear the princess dress and be a girl.”



Abby: “Okay, but you have to let me drive the car.”



I am learning that the key to managing these minor battles is knowing when it’s time to help them find a solution and when it's best to let them solve it on their own. My parental attitude and reaction also plays an important role in how they learn to react to each other. Maybe that’s the point, they’re learning how to problem solve, and I'm learning that I don’t always have to take on that role. Perhaps we should all allow more time to just sit back and enjoy the show.


4 comments:

  1. I remember my boys arguing over who was going to marry me when they grew up. They solved the problem by agreeing that one would marry me and the other would marry gramma! lol...it never even occurred to either of them that both of us had a husband already!!! hehehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes!! "YOU"RE THE ONE". I'm so happy you posted it. haha
    I love their conversation. Good on their Mama for teaching them to problem solve who could play the mom. :)
    what would jess do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the only child in my family, i always want to have sibling who I could have this fun-loved Sibling Rivalry. Many people would think single child is spoiled, that is not true. We feel lonely all the way we grew up. It is lucky and blessed to have sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Growing up with 2 older brother I can completely relate to sibling rivalry and now that you mention it you are right there are times to step in and times to let siblings rough it out! It didn't stop me from telling on my brothers though!

    ReplyDelete