Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Taking Time



time  tīm/noun
noun: time; plural noun: times
1.
the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole.


I have been thinking a lot about this lately. Not just because it is part of the goal of this blog, but because it was my birthday, my daughters birthday and the anniversary of my Grandfathers passing.

I also recently (with my time in Toronto) had the opportunity to reflect on how the passing of time seems to vary on the company I keep and what I accomplish in one day. I used to measure the success of my day based upon the number of things I managed to complete, or significantly diminish. Not so much anymore. I understand the value of a nap, the merit of a good conversation and the absorption of a good book.

It's Izzy's birthday this month and she couldn't be more excited. Not that long ago she was crying because she thought her birthday would never get here, I think that was two weeks ago. Children's concept of time, especially when they're younger is completely warped. Have you noticed they will say everything happened yesterday - even if it was months ago?

 
Izzy's first steps...feels like it WAS yesterday... 


Time is such an abstract concept it can only be learned by experiencing it. The older I get the more I value it, and the less perplexed I am when an entire day slips away.  And maybe the idea that "everything happened yesterday" is not such a bad theory after all. If the moments we have now create the memories for tomorrow, then a child's' concept of time is a good reminder that the things we remember may seem as if they just happened just yesterday. Be good to one another, especially the little people in your life. They might be remembering you like it was yesterday.

“No matter how much time passes, no matter what takes place in the interim, there are some things we can never assign to oblivion, memories we can never rub away.”
Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

No comments:

Post a Comment