Monday, May 19, 2014

Don't Worry "Be" Happy




At what point do we start thinking about what we want to “be” when we grow up?

I distinctly remember an age when I realized that math was difficult for me. I remember my teacher, Mrs. Harrison staying after class with me to explain roman numerals and staring at the times tables chart over my paper bag lunches trying to memorize a pattern. Putting everything into a song really worked for me and I managed to coast through okay.


This week Abby (7) brought home a drawing illustrating that she wants to be a dentist when she grows up.  When I asked her why she said, “So I can laser my Dad’s teeth if he gets another ache in his mouth.” It’s true her Dad is terrified of dentists and has been his whole life. So Abby is graciously offering to be a dentist to help take care of him. This may actually prove to be good motivation. I guess only time will tell.
I know it's not intentional but the patient looks terrified to me...

When I then asked Izzy (5) what she wants to be she said, “Oh I don’t want to do anything, I’m just going to be a Mom.” I admit to choking on my coffee but I can explain what she meant, I think. There has been great debate about me working outside of the home; they don’t like the idea of me not being here even though they will both be in school.



Since my career is currently in flux, and having just completed college for the second time, I’m currently asking myself what I want to “be” all over again. The question is a daunting one. The truth is, none of us are just one tidy description and maybe it’s less about wanting to “be” something and more about finding out who we already are.



I don’t actually care what my girls decide to do for a career, providing they are happy and healthy and able to provide for themselves. Yes, I subscribe to the same adage my parents repeated and I never actually believed until I became a parent myself, “I just want you to be happy.” Honestly that’s all I want for anyone and everyone, especially my girls. Perhaps that’s a goal we can all work on achieving, even if just for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment